Step 1 – Extended Length
Measure the gas strut from middle of end fitting to the middle of the end fitting when gas strut is fully extended
Step 2 – Diameter
- Measure across the Rod/Shaft
- Measure across the canister ( not around, across )
We have 4 sizes in gas struts – 6/15, 8/18, 10/22, 14/28 meaning an 8/18 has an 8mm shaft and 18mm canister
Step 3 – Newton Meters or Force
There are few ways to work out the Newton Meters (Nm).
- Look – there may be a number followed by NM or N or the gas strut.
- Weigh – Grab a pole and the bathroom scales, pop up boot/bonnet with pole in line with gas struts, remove struts & then place end of the pole onto the scales. This will tell you in Kg how heavy the door. Basic conversion is 1kg = 10NM so 10 kg = 100NM
- Call the manufacturers of the vehicle…
Step 4 – End Fittings
Gas Strut Australia’s gas struts come complete with ball cup fittings. However, if you aren’t sure please take a photo and email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our data sheet for End Fittings to match your specific requirements.
Step 5 – Order your Gas Strut
Call us on 1300 807 101 and we’ll get your Gas Strut Solution on the road to you.